Our leadership team at Partners In Learning is currently exploring the book Tuesday Morning Coaching: Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life by David Cottrell. The chapter that resonates with me most is about setting goals. The author explains that once you’ve set a goal, you need to visualize yourself in each phase of pursuing the goal. To many of my colleagues, this sounded a bit “new age”, though I personally have used this technique and found it to be a very effective tool.
Here are the steps outlined by the author to help you achieve your goals:
• Identify your starting point
• Establish a deadline for accomplishing your goal
• Identify any obstacles that might stand in the way of achieving your goal
• Consider the human and material resources available to you that might be able to assist you as you work toward your goal
• Make a list of the specific steps you will need to take in order to make your goal a reality.
• The last step is to DO IT!
One of my dreams was to find a little yellow cottage with a BIG fireplace in the mountains where my husband and I would live after we retired. The photo above was taken at sunset from the sunroom of our new home, a home very similar to the one I visualized for many, many years.
Dream it. Plan it. Go for it.
Katherine Generaux, Community Inclusion Director