Partners In Learning Blog Team

Partners In Learning Blog Team
Blog Team

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A CONVERSTATION WITH MY DAD ON HIS 90th BIRTHDAY

My father, Roy Generaux, on the day of his 90th birthday.

We sat together, looking out toward the ocean at the rented house on the coast in Northern California near my parent’s home. It was after the party celebrating my dad’s 90th birthday that I finally had a chance to sit down and spend a few quiet moments with Dad. “And so what have you learned in 90 years?” is the question I posed to my father. “I’ve learned that everyone you will ever see or meet has something to teach you, if you are open to learn. Every person should be treated with dignity. We are, after all, more alike than we are different. “He looked at me then and said, “Kathy, you tend to get ahead of yourself. You always have. You need to be more present; live in the moment. You will be happier if you learn to do this.”

Words of wisdom from my dad on his 90th birthday.

Katherine Generaux, Community Inclusion Director

No comments:

Post a Comment