Partners In Learning Blog Team

Partners In Learning Blog Team
Blog Team

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

AM I A BAD MOM?

I think we put a lot of pressure on ourselves as moms by setting unrealistic expectations for ourselves based on mythical, media driven concepts about the role of motherhood. I remember when I was “in the trenches” of young motherhood. I was always worried that I was not doing enough, doing too much or doing the wrong things. “I think I’m ruining them”, I remember telling another mom. “They’re going to end up on some psychiatrists couch someday”, I said to her after relaying a story about how I’d poorly managed an interaction with one of my three children. “Don’t worry about it”, she advised me. “They may well require a consultation with someone in the mental health field, but if they do, it won’t be because of any of your own perceived maternal blunders, it’ll undoubtedly be about something you’ll have absolutely NO memory of ever happening!”


The point is: relax Mom and Dad. Love those little ones every day and put your head on the pillow each night knowing you did your very best. And remember, tomorrow is another day.

Katherine Generaux
Community Inclusion Director

No comments:

Post a Comment