Partners In Learning Blog Team

Partners In Learning Blog Team
Blog Team

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

HOW DO WORKING MOTHERS DO IT?

When I learned that Whimziggy was offering a one-week morning art camp, I immediately enrolled my five-year-old Granddaughter, Ceci. We’ve done overnights for the last couple of years, but this is Ceci’s first full-week visit. Our first day went as follows:


Following written instructions, I drive past the Whimziggy art studio, turn around in the cul-de-sac, and get in the cue to drop Ceci off for her first day, and then I go to work.

I start my lunch hour back in the cue for art camp pick-up. We make our way to the library to select some books and DVDs for home-time entertainment, stopping at Sonics for a kid’s meal on the way back to work, (Partners In Learning), where Ceci spends the afternoon.

At 5:00, Ceci has a private swim lesson at the local YMCA, so I have to abandon my work early to take her. It is at this point that I discover that Ceci is a world-class dottler. “Oh, look at that bug, Amah. What kind of bug is that, Amah?” “Do you think it flies?” “Can we stop and look at the fish pond on the way to the car.” “Oh look! I found a really fancy rock!” “Oh look, there’s another one.” The simple task of getting her to, from, in and out of the car through the course of the morning and afternoon is a day’s work in itself.

I have a six-thirty meeting, so I drop Ceci off at home to spend time with her grandfather. I have pre-prepared dinner and a “busy box” to entertain her during my absence.

I’m home at eight o’clock. It’s time for bath, bedtime stories, (three), lots of dottling and, finally, bed.

At 9:00, I’m EXHASTED!

How do working families do it?

Katherine Generaux, Community Inclusion Director

No comments:

Post a Comment