Your active lifestyle can be a powerful stimulus for your child. If you want an active child, be active yourself. Make activity a priority for you and your family by walking, riding a bike, playing games in the yard. Let your children know that physical activity is an opportunity to take care of your body, rather than a punishment or chore. Remember to praise and encourage physical activity.
Follow these guidelines and enjoy a happier, healthier life with your family:
1. Set a good example: Be active yourself and make it a priority
2. Limit screen time: Set a time limit or opt for video games that require movement
3. Establish a routine: Set aside time each day for physical activity
4. Let your child set the pace: Get creative as you search for activities your child enjoys
5. Promote activity, not exercise: To keep your child interested in fitness, make it fun
Remember, incorporating physical activity into your child’s life does much more than promote a healthy weight. It sets the foundation for a lifetime of fitness and good mental and physical health.