Partners In Learning Blog Team

Partners In Learning Blog Team
Blog Team

Monday, May 27, 2013

Remembering our Service Men

Many people will not give a thought today to why we celebrate Memorial Day.  They will just be thinking about having a long weekend, cookouts, and good times at the lake.   Sadly, I must say that I used to fall in that group.  Sure, I knew it was to remember those that had served our country.  However, it is quite different when military service falls close to home.  I am so proud of my son-in-law and nephew who serve in the military.  My son-in-law is a marine and is currently in active duty on a ship somewhere in the middle of the ocean.  My nephew has just returned from a second tour in Afghanistan and is in the process of moving to Germany.

The sacrifices that these men and their families make are huge.  I've witnessed it first hand:

My sister with her son Thomas during one of their few moments                                                    together between deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq.


Thomas and his beautiful wife Kristen during one of his few times at home.  As you can see they love our country!  Kristen is preparing to leave her family, work, friends, and country to join her husband in Germany.





Army Sgt Dan Thomas Henderson during his most recent tour in Afghanistan.  He has missed birthdays, holidays, anniversaries and all to serve our County.






My Son-In-Law, Marine Sgt Dustin Berg is holding my beautiful granddaughter Emily right before leaving for his second deployment.  He has missed two of her birthdays, holidays, and anniversaries.  Even with all of the latest technology, my daughter often feels like a single mother for months at a time. My granddaughter cries for her daddy.  



 Birthday parties aren't the same for a three year old without daddy.  

With all of this being said, there is no doubt that these two service men wouldn't change a thing.  It is their passion to serve and protect our country as like the many others that we remember today.  Take a minute today to remember our veterans past and present and pray for their health and safety.  

Norma W. Honeycutt, Executive Director


No comments:

Post a Comment