Partners In Learning Blog Team

Partners In Learning Blog Team
Blog Team

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Autism and the tooth fairy

One of our parents recently posted the below story on Facebook.  She was willing for me to share her heartfelt story. 
 Autism Spectum Disorder (ASD) Parent Realization.  We learn early on that our kids do not understand abstract things. We look at the way we speak, how to explain things and whatever else we can anticipate. Well today was a day I was not prepared for. CJ lost his first tooth.  Yeah for him his physical health is wonderful and he is right on track. The sad part is we do not know exactly when it happened. He did not get the excitement of loosing his first tooth.   He will not be going to bed anticipating the very first visit from the tooth fairy. He will not wake up and throw his pillow off the bed to see what was left for him. My rational side tells me this is something that he does not understand and he will be fine. It is not a big deal. The mommy that I am is so upset that he will never know that experience or have that memory. It is a hard pill to swallow for me. So today for about a total of 30 minutes I had my own pity party. I am still trying to figure out if I am wrong for that.  
Trish Sihler
 Grief is natural part of any parent of a child with special needs journey, so no it is not wrong Trish.  It's quite natural!  You know that your child is "Different... but not less than."  You accept your child for who he is and celebrate his unique insight and abilities.  So, take that 30 minutes and have your "pity party", for tomorrow you will pick yourself up and continue to celebrate the uniqueness of your wonderful son as you do everyday! 





Norma W. Honeycutt, Executive Director

No comments:

Post a Comment