Partners In Learning Blog Team

Partners In Learning Blog Team
Blog Team

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Who's taking care of you?


As parents, we are just naturally busy people.  We have lots of hats to wear.  The mommy/daddy hat, the chef hat, the chauffeur hat, the nurse/doctor hat, the monster-under-the-bed-chaser hat, the list goes on and on.  Some of us are employed outside the home, some of us are busy working inside the home.  Some of us go to school full time, some of us volunteer our time.  There's never a lack of things to occupy our time and attention.  So with all of these things in our lives that we take care of day to day, who is taking care of us? 


I've recently fallen into the "I'm too busy" trap.  Back to school time is always hectic, the boys are playing football, family responsibilities, work responsibilities, household responsibilities, these are all the lovely excuses I like to use when I'm trying to justify why I've been putting myself on the back burner once again. I've stopped making time to go workout, I've not been able to make time for friends, my hair has been tied back in a hair tie everyday for I don't know how long, and there is really no acceptable excuse for allowing this to happen.

So whats a parent to do?  We need to start making ourselves a priority and start by making time.  Starting now, I'm going to try to carve out a little piece of each day for nothing or anyone but myself.



Now, what if you just can't take off and grab dinner with a friend or go out to the movies by yourself?  No sitter, no money for a sitter, or whatever other obstacle is in the way.  No problem, time to take care of yourself isn't necessarily time out of the house. My me time list for this month is filled with at home activities that I can do after my little sweeties are tucked in for the night.  Here are some suggestions to get you started...
  • At home spa night
  •  Mani/pedi night
  • Movie date on the couch, microwave popcorn, no cell phones
  • have the librarian suggest a book at your local library, check it out, then ACTUALLY read it
 
              

No comments:

Post a Comment