Partners In Learning Blog Team

Partners In Learning Blog Team
Blog Team

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Touchscreen Gloves

While I was planning on blogging about a different topic today, I simply had to share an idea that I got from Pinterest this week!

I call these "iPad gloves."


Have you ever had a child try to use their entire hand while playing on your phone, iPad, etc.?

This is a great (and cheap) concrete way of teaching your child to use their index finger to manipulate touch screens.

To prepare for prewriting skills and other fine motor skills, it is important for your child to use their index finger on touch screens rather than their thumb or entire hand.

I put this Pinterest idea to practical use this week. While I thought that the child would refuse to put on the gloves, she agreed and they worked great!



All you need to do is take a cheap pair of gloves and cut the index fingers out of them. I cut out the index fingers on both gloves since many young children have not yet figured out which hand they are going to use.



I would also suggest cutting out only the index finger on the right hand so that they cannot use their left hand, but still encourage them to put on both gloves.

By the way, are you following Partners In Learning's Pinterest page? We have tons of great parenting, classroom, and therapy ideas pinned!

Katie Zink, Infant-Toddler Family Therapist/P

No comments:

Post a Comment