Partners In Learning Blog Team

Partners In Learning Blog Team
Blog Team

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

KINDERGARTEN? ALREADY? REALLY?

 Peter enjoying his last summer days before school starts

I know a lot of little people who are starting kindergarten this week or next. It’s difficult to process; let alone taking the steps to prepare our children for this next big adventure in their lives. This begs the question: Is my child ready? I think anyone who is heavily invested in a child who is entering kindergarten this year harbors this secret fear.


My grandson Peter is an entering kindergartener. He can write his name; through I’m not confident he knows every letter in the alphabet. He attended an excellent NC PreK program last year and his teachers report that his social interactions and self-regulation skills are fairly spot-on. This is good to hear, since strong social skills and emotional development are so important for kindergarten success.

Still, they’re so little. How much do they really know about the world? Here we are, sending them on their way. I wish you well, Peter, and all your little cohorts too. I wish you all the best.

Katherine Generaux Community Inclusion

No comments:

Post a Comment