You may or may not have heard some discussion about the efforts of our current educational systems to more toward a 21st century method of teachers. In order to remain internationally competitive, our next generation will need to possess the following qualities.
• Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
• Collaboration across Networks and Leading by Influence
• Agility and Adaptability
• Initiative and Entrepreneurialism
• Effective Oral and Written Communication
• Accessing and Analyzing Information
• Curiosity and Imagination.
Many people believe that 21st century learning will require a huge investment in cutting-edge technology. While technology will certainly play an important role in the education of our future leaders, I’d like you to consider what the children in this photo are learning. I see children who are developing problem solving skills, collaborating by exchanging information about their progress, reinforcing their ability to persist on a task while using their imaginations and critical thinking skills. All of this was accomplished with a string and an apple.
Katherine Generaux, Community Inclusiion